Friday, June 3, 2011

How does removing the front head of a bass drum affect the sound on a recording?

I'm recording a drumkit. I'm pretty satisfied with my drum sound, but I'd like to have a more defined kick drum sound. It seems logical to me to remove the front drum head, but how does this really affect the sound of the bass drum, and the sound of the whole kit?How does removing the front head of a bass drum affect the sound on a recording?removing the head will stop some of the kick reverberation and you will also lose some of the deep bass response.

if you are using an equalizer on the drums, try adding more mid range.

using an equalizer on the kick can change a lot of the bass sound.

just try it and you will find you can get some really good bass sounds from it.

good luckHow does removing the front head of a bass drum affect the sound on a recording?To me, it adds a 'boing' effect to the bass, which I'm not fond of.. if you're looking for more definition, I would recommend getting a thin batter side head (ex. Remo Ambassador) with a falam slam on it, and a thick reso head (ex. Powerstroke 3) with a 6%26quot; hole in it.



Also, since you're recording, using the right compressor ratio can definitely get you the desired definition.How does removing the front head of a bass drum affect the sound on a recording?You could. It would get less reverberation if you put the mic outside the drum, but it would sound so dead. Take the head off, then put the mic inside the drum. This way you'll get a nice, fat kick, and will be able to adjust the tone on your recording to your desired definition.How does removing the front head of a bass drum affect the sound on a recording?I got my kit without a head on the front of the bass drum. Trust me, keep it on because it sounds horrible without one. It has a banging/clicky sound to it and the reverberation is completely gone giving it a very bland sound.