Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?

I have a dog who's nearly a year old. She's very friendly but she's also very big. Whenever the door bell rings she charges to the front door and has her nose out of it when I open it to greet the caller. I then have to hold her back so she doesnt run out into the street. She's getting bigger and is stronger than me and its driving me mad. Any training tips please?How to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?Everyone has already offered the sit/stay. However, the last poster mentioned boundaries, which is an excellent suggestion. The space around your doors should be off limits all the time, and you can teach your dogs that.

We trained a pack of six to stay a minimum of 6 feet from any door by putting a piece of painters tape on the floor and training sit/stay behind the tape. After the tape was removed, the dogs still know where that spot is and don't cross it.

Boundaries can include many things, not just doors. A dog who has set boundaries and limitations is much easier to control.How to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?I saw a problem like this on It's me or the dog and what she did was to get a friend or spouse to help you. And every time the doorbell rings ask your dog to sit and then give the wait or stay command. Then have your friend or spouse open the door. It may take a few tries but eventually your dog should learn to sit and stay. If the dog charges the door say a simple firm no and have your friend or spouse shut the door. Wait 1-2 minutes and try again. If the dog manages to sit and wait while the person comes in then reward them with a treat. Repetition is key here.How to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?Simple

Teach her stay, and stick with it. Simple isn't it?How to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?I agree that repetition is your key here. Train your dog to do the stay command and you can get yourself going.



Here's a link to help you do this very helpful basic obedience command. hope this helps!

http://aigheuv.notlong.comHow to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?Train train train. Its what you do with a dog!How to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?Awww!! hey, at least you know your dog is smart... she knows what the doorbell means, put up a gate of some kind near the door

like one of the old wooden ones or plastic ones that are meant for babies... it should work for at least awhile until she figures out how to jump over it!!How to I stop my dog charging to the front door when the bell rings?You own the door and the space around it. Pick out where you want her to sit/stay and enforce it.



By the way, you should OWN everything in your house, not just the front door.



RULES, BOUNDARIES (!) AND LIMITATIONS.



It is called training.



Need any further help email me. I have 8 dogs. I OWN the door.
  • pc or mac
  • programming
  •