Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How to remove a keyed chain lock from my front/back doors without a key?

When we bought our house, the former owners didn't leave us with a key for the chain lock at the front door and back doors. Problem is, I want it gone because we're painting the baseboards and I can't get it off without a key. It's the kind that attaches to the door and interior wall. I've removed the part from the door but can't get the part from the wall off. The chain is hanging by the side of the door and the attached end of the chain slides into some kind of mechanism that's locked. I've tried hammering it off, no luck. Any suggestions.



Cheryl.How to remove a keyed chain lock from my front/back doors without a key?Try drilling out the lock by using a sharp quarter inch drill bit.



Aim the bit in your electric drill at the top of the lock front right where the top of the key would go in. The idea is to drill out the tumblers that are keeping the lock cylinder from turning and coming out. Keep it up tight against that top piece and drill most of the way through. After that you should be able to turn that cylinder just the way the key does. If you can't get it to turn after that hole, then get a 3/8%26quot; drill bit and put its point into the first hole to drill the opening larger.How to remove a keyed chain lock from my front/back doors without a key?bolt cuttersHow to remove a keyed chain lock from my front/back doors without a key?The cylinders in those chain locks are very cheaply made. You can either drill out the cylinder until you destroy the tumblers, then open with a screwdriver (messy), or, grind off the portion containing the cylinder with an angle grinder. (a little less messy).



Once the lock portion is off, the mounting screws will be exposed.



Good luckHow to remove a keyed chain lock from my front/back doors without a key?Can you saw off the portion sticking out and put the trim back???How to remove a keyed chain lock from my front/back doors without a key?Drill out the lock.How to remove a keyed chain lock from my front/back doors without a key?Try bolt cutters or a hack saw.