Friday, September 23, 2011

How to measure the square footage of my front yard?

Bear with me - I'm not great with measurements. I need to order dirt to level off my front yard. I'm not sure how to take the measurements so I can order the dirt, though. The landscaper sells dirt by the cubic yard at 3 cubic yards minimum. So - how to get the square footage of my yard? Thanks!How to measure the square footage of my front yard?Don't measure the whole yard. Just form an imaginary rectangle around the area that you want to level off. Multiply the lengths of two touching sides of the rectangle together, and then multiply that by how high you are going to raise the ground with the dirt. Do all of the measuring in yards (3 feet = 1 yard) before you multiply. This number is the number of cubic yards of dirt you need. However, you may want to buy a little extra just in case.How to measure the square footage of my front yard?Multiply the length by the width. If it is not rectangular, break it into rectangles and add all of the areas.



You don't need area, you need the volume of the dirt to fill the holes. Measure the area of the hole and multiply by the depth. This will be more dirt than you need, but the dirt will compact.How to measure the square footage of my front yard?measure the length and width (in yards) of the lawn and multiply them. that will give the area of the lawn in square yards. estimate how thick the dirt will be when spread out. convert that to yards and multiply that number by the area. that will give you the number of cubic yards of dirt you need.How to measure the square footage of my front yard?this question cannot be answered by anyone here or anywhere else without at least looking to see what areas need fill in.--you do not need to know the square footage of your yard----you need to know how many cubic yards you need to fill in the areas that need it. Thats entirely different..... you need someone with a trained eye to give you a reasonable estimate.